Thursday, March 9, 2017

The General Rules of English Structure

Sydney, 8 March 2017

A very special friend of mine asked me for a help in preparing himself for sitting in a TOEFL test. He said he got difficulties in solving the structure problem. I found that he was unable to break down a sentence into its elements. So I taught him the basic structure of a sentence, which is tenses. I drew a 4 x 4 grid of 16 English tenses plus the passive version for him. 

I have learned English since I was in 4th grade of elementary school. Along the way, I got an understanding of the logic of the English sentences. I guess, I am able to summarise them into the following order:


I also sent this summary to him in hoping that he can have a better understanding in fragmenting an English sentence into its elements. And I am also wishing he can pass the TOEFL with a very well result.