Friday, August 25, 2017

Visiting Canberra

Sydney, 23 July 2017

Yesterday, my friend and I went to Canberra, the capital of Australia. Canberra is close to Sydney and can be reach within about 3 hours by driving a car, taking bus or train. We went there by taking Murray bus from Sydney Central Station at 5 am. The student fare is $60 for return trip.

The temperature was so cold outside during the trip. It was in the middle of winter, and also, the continental climate of Australia makes the temperature even colder than the coastal climate. When we passed by Goulburn, a small town between Sydney and Canberra, the temperature was -7 degree Celsius. When the sun rose, I saw all the grass field was covered by frost. I also saw some cattle on the field. I was wondering how they can no be freezing to death. 



We arrived at Jolimont Centre at Canberra at 8:30 am. It was very foggy and the temperature was only -2 degree Celsius. The humid air makes the temperature feels like even colder than the actual. My fingers were instantly freezing. I wished I brought my gloves with me.

We dropped by McDonald's near by to get some breakfast and to get some warmth inside. We waited until 10 am but the temperature was still -1 degree Celsius. We insisted to go outside because we didn't want to get stuck just because of the weather. It turned out that it was not as cold as before since the fog has already gone.

We walked to Canberra Central but nothing much to see in there unless frosted grass. We continued walking to the south crossing the bridge. But before that, we dropped by the Lake Burley Griffin. The lake was covered by thick fog but it gradually disappeared as the sun went higher.

After crossing the bridge, there was nothing much to see. In fact, south Canberra is much quieter than the north one. We visited the parliament house and after that we walked to the National Museum of Australia. The Museum is free and worth to visit! It's cafeteria also sells good foods and has a good view to the lake.

Then we continued walking to Australian War Memorial. We didn't spend too much time there since we had to catch the bus at 5 pm to go back to Sydney. Over all, we walked more than 30 km on that day. On the map, Canberra looks so small than can easily be explored on foot. But there was actually nothing much to see in the city. The distance between one and another tourist attraction is quite far and it is only open space in between.

I don't know whether or not I will enjoy living in Canberra, if one day I have to study in this city. I might be feeling lonely and isolated. The city seems to be boring. But, maybe it is just me that knows nothing about Canberra yet!