Thursday, August 31, 2017

Arca Dwarapala

Sydney, 31 August 2017

Tomorrow will be Eid ul Adha in Indonesia, and look what I got on my Facebook's timeline



I don't know whether the news is true or just fake, but this reminds me about something. 

It's being said that the statue covered in the picture above is the replica of "Arca Dwarapala". Arca Dwarapala is actually statues of giant twins, remains of Singosari Kingdom. They were located in my neighbourhood. When I was kid, I remember my father always said to me "if only the statues were given lives, they would pray to Allah as they hear adzan (prayer call). I think he said so just to persuade me to pray (salah).

But every time my father said it, I felt like "meh, seriously?". I didn't find any strong evidence to what his words other than only his self-proclaiming.  I wish I dare to say "but trees, birds, and other living creatures don't pray!". But for sure, at time he had lost my respect for being a religious hypocrite.