Tuesday, June 20, 2017

Being a Gay and a Muslim, is It Possible?

Sydney, 20 June 2017

I just found some interesting videos about how it is to be a gay Muslim, which I always thought homosexuality and Islam (and some other religions) can never ever agree to each other. You can check the videos here:

This makes me think if I have been so wrong in judging Islam. I am probably just controlled by my anger to intolerant Muslims around me. Probably my anger should be addressed to those people, not to my religion or to my god. Maybe the mistake is in those people, not in the religion.

As what Muneer said in episode 1 video above, relationship between human and his god should be the most personal thing in the world, that no one can tell whether he is practicing his religion correctly or not. This is also what my crush said to me, that he probably practices Islam as his religion, but in term of relationship between him and his god, he has his own interpretation.

However, this non-uniformity of practice and interpretation may rise a question whether or not they are still in the same religion after all. Some people desire uniformity in the practice since it is all clearly being stated in the Quran, thus whoever deviates from this standardised practice is considered misguided. But again, which standard is the real one and which interpretation is the correct one, since there are various of them and everyone claims their own standard and interpretation as the rightest one.

Everyone may claim their own faith is the truest one, thus if so, they should respect other people's faith too. Forcing someone else to acknowledge their faith as the most correct one is very intolerant. War and manslaughter in the name of religion happen repetitively because their faith tells them to be intolerant to other groups. They can never agree until other groups follow them or die.

I guess, if they want to show or promote their religion to other people, they should do it sympathetically and just let other people independently decide whether will have a voluntary willingness to learn that religion or not. Otherwise, who's gonna believe them? Are they promoting their religion or forcing other people to follow their religion?