Monday, June 19, 2017

Olfactory Memory

Sydney, 19 June 2017

What is the thing that can suddenly open up your long gone memories? A photograph, a person, a scenery, a house, a food, a voice, a melody, a sound, a news, a sentence?

For me, it would be a scent. In normal situation, I can't tell what kind of scent that I had for a particular moment in my life. But once I smell a distinct scent of the ambience, it drags me back into a long gone memory. My brain will suddenly recalls it and tells me "I know this scent, I know this ambience!".

I can smell the moment when I visited my grandparents' house. I can smell the moment when I just entered my new school. Just like couple days ago, I can recognise the winter scent of my room again, the very same scent that I had when I just arrived here last year.