Saturday, June 17, 2017

Sydney Film Festival

Sydney, 16 June 2017

Couple weeks ago, Giorgio showed me a news from Indonesia. It was about a gay couple got canned in Aceh province of Indonesia. Then I told him how I feel sad and disappointed by all the discrimination against LGBT in Indonesia. Later, he showed me a schedule of a Film Festival that would be on going at Sydney, and the theme of the festival is gay film. He said he would be going there and he asked me to join. So I said yes and last night we and some other friends went there.

The theatre (Sydney State Theatre) is so spacious and grande with balconies and sculptures on the sides, it reminds me to a classic European hall or cathedral. The entrance is also so classic that is designed like an old theatre in US. The ticket price was $17, which is a little bit too pricey I guess, but I enjoyed the experience.

The film that we watched is "Call Me by Your Name". Briefly, it tells a story of a boy who falls in love with his father's coworker. Coincidentally, the theme of the film was just exactly the same topic of discussion that I had with my crush few days ago. It tells how gay people have to conceal themselves and try to fit within society, make a relationship/ get married with a woman, but they cannot lie to themselves about their homosexuality. This is so sad that there are a lot of hearts being broken, both men and women.

The film got appreciation from the spectators. They gave applause at the end of the movie. The spectators are not only gay people, in fact, I saw a lot of heterosexual couples, young couples or old couples. They do really appreciate and respect other people no matter what their sexual orientation is.