Saturday, April 1, 2017

homophobia and sexism

Sydney, 18 March 2017.

The week two has passed and I am still left behind from my study. Last week, I tried to be very diligent by reading all the material and answering self-study questions every night before the classes. The result, I was engaged quite well in all class discussions, yet I was very tired by the end of the week. Last Friday I just slept for only three hours, yet I couldn't finish all my reading. I didn't blame the uni for the work loads, but it was me who couldn't concentrate and got distracted very easily so I didn't use my time very effectively.

Right after I finished my last class on that week, I played badminton with my dorm friends. As a result, I got dizzy just after a game, like I was about to faint. When I came back to my room, I just fell asleep instantly all night and day, till I woke up at 12 pm at the following day. I know that missing a good sleep just one night will cost me a day and night sleep on the following day. However, after having a full day recovery, I felt much fresher. At the late afternoon, we played volleyball and it was so fun. I enjoyed the sport this time and felt so much refreshed.

When we had dinner, a friend of mine was talking about his bad experience with gay people in Sydney. He said when his friend took him to a gay club in Sydney, he was touched by some gay men in there. Another friend of mine also said he felt disgusted when he, for the first time, saw a gay couple kissed in public. I know even if most of the people here, the uni and the country support the LGBT's right, but I can still hear homophobic comments from people around me, especially those who come from Muslim country.

For this time, I would agree with my friends that what those gay people have done are inappropriate. But I would say what to blame is their attitude, not their sexual orientation. Whether you are gay or straight, sexual harassment is just a serious crime. Showing your romance with your partner excessively in public area can sometimes be nasty too. But hey, let's think, straight people can be so disgusting and rude too, when, for example, catcalling and sexism become a norm.

And talking about sexism, I don't believe in sexism at all. When I was a kid, I was always told that men are born to be leader and women are born to serve the men. But we are human with super brain, not animals that depend on their instincts to survive. I know biologically men and women are different, but just that. If people argue men are more logical and women are more sensitive, I can prove that's not always true. I think this is more to how you were raised. And you can see, despite my mom is not a perfect father figure for my family, but definitely, she did it much better than what my father did.