Wednesday, April 19, 2017

My Super Annoying Roommate

Sydney, 15 April 2017

I guess I cannot be patient anymore to my supper annoying roommate. He keeps talking to his girlfriend 24/7 via video chat.

I have complained to him because he kept talking with his girlfriend on the phone loudly after midnight. I said "unplug your earphone while you are talking so you can control your volume". Right after I sad that, he turned off his phone and went to bed. But it wasn't over. Later, he changed from voice chat to text chat. He always types on the computer keyboard very very loudly as if he is typing on a typewriter. I wonder if his laptop can last longer than one year if he treats it that roughly. His brother bought him that laptop last semester, now he sometimes complains that his laptop does not work properly. His attitude is so harsh. I cannot comment anymore.

I don't mind with his love story, but I do really mind with his attitude to live in a shared room with me. When he wakes up, the first thing he does is talking to his girlfriend. He never disconnect the video chat with his girlfriend on the computer, he keeps it always on like 24/7. He keeps talking until afternoon, evening, and midnight again. But now, he talks whisperingly after midnight. He brings his laptop on his side when he goes to bed, and continuously talks until they both fall asleep but leaves the video chat on all night until morning. Basically, they sleep together via web cam, and I can see his girlfriend sleeping too, and very likely she can see all my activities in my room too. Where the hell is privacy?

Even if he whispers, his voice still annoys me. It even sounds worse in the quiet night, as if he whispers right next to my ears. I cannot sleep peacefully every single night. I have tried to quip him by playing a loud music every time he makes noises but it does not work. He plugs his ears with earphone and busy talks with his girlfriend; he does not care about anything else happens around him. Moreover, I am too sleepy to compete with him to create the loudest and most annoying noise. I just want to sleep peacefully.

Because he always sleeps late, he always wakes up late too. He sets multiple alarms on his phone and his desk clock from 6 am till 10 am, but he never wakes up to turn of the alarms. While, I only set up one alarm in vibration mode, and I always wake up earlier than him. The sound of his alarms is another annoying thing. Even when he already wakes up, he prefers to go to bathroom first and leaves the alarms scream loudly in our room. Once upon a day, he asked me to wake him at 8.30 am because he had quiz. I just replied "ya" lazily but by 8.30 am I pretended to sleep although I was awake since his alarms rang relentlessly (but amazingly, he didn't wake up).

Ever since, everything he does always looks bad in my eyes. He never tidies up his bed after waking up in the morning; he leaves his blanket and clothes scattered on his bed. When he eats, he never shuts his mouths when he chews his food; it creates annoying sound just like a duck eats his food. When he talks with his compatriots in our room or on the telephone, they talk super loudly that I cannot distinguish whether they are cheering or quarreling. But when he talks to his girlfriend on the phone, he changes his voice to whispering as if he is afraid if someone else know what they are talking about, even actually I don't understand a single world of Bengali. He's only 19, or 10-11 years younger than me, but he doesn't respect me at all. I know he is very smart, but to me, he is so uncivilised.

It is an unfortunate for me to be in pair with him in this dorm. We are paired based on our habits preferences. When I applied for the room, I had to inform my habits such as sleep time, wake up time, tolerance to noise, and lighting condition during sleep time. But it turns out that we are so different in appreciating the shared environment. We are paired probably because we both are Muslims so it is easier for us to have a prayer in our room. However, I didn't provide my religion detail in my application, or maybe they just guessed from my name.

Everything was fine at the first month but later as more and more assignments we had, our sleep pattern disordered. It worsened when he found his girlfriend. Actually, I had a chance to move to other room this semester, but I cannot give in my pride over him. If someone has to move from this room, it is supposed to be him, not me. Too bad, now I have another one year to share a room with him. I am afraid if I cannot control my emotion. So far, every time I get super mad with his attitude and feel like to throw anything to his head, I just go out from my room and do another activity till my anger is gone or till he falls asleep.

I remember during our first semester, he always asked me to save his lunch because he had an afternoon class. At first, it was fine for me to save his lunch once or twice. But later, he asked me as if it is my weekly routine. So after I have had enough, I didn't reply his request at all. Meanwhile, I never asked anyone to save me a lunch. I don't like to bother people. Last semester I also had an afternoon class every week, and what I did is I packed my lunch by myself during breakfast and brought it with me to uni. I become so lazy to talk to him anymore.

I remember the first time we met, we talked a lot. I asked him about the situation in his country after an incident of Muslim extremists attack in there. He said the attack has made some Muslims lose their believe and he felt disappointed. He just didn't know if his roommate is also Muslim that has lost faith. But I never tried to be a fake Muslim in front of him. He prays five times a day and that does not make me feel uneasy at all if I don't pray at all. I have my own value to believe.

Being a devoted Muslim does not guarantee you become a good person, and being an unbeliever does not mean you are an evil person. So what is the function of religion? Despite my roommate prays five times a day, he is still ignorant. He reminds himself the value of his religion, but he is drunk of love. Couple of times, I caught him with his girlfriend cuddling each other in our room (I'm not sure tho what they have done, since they looked a little panicking when I suddenly entered our room). I also caught them spending like one hour inside the toilet or bathroom together. I really don't mind with what they are doing as a couple, and none of these are my business! But since he annoys me with their 24/7 video chat, it becomes my concern too. What I see is an example of religious hypocrisy.

I wish they are gonna break up soon so I'll have my peaceful sleep back again.