Tuesday, April 25, 2017

I Fall in Love with Sydney

Sydney, 25 April 2017

Today is ANZAC day in Australia and New Zealand. It is the day where people are remembering those who died in serve or conflict or war or making peace. But today I didn't get up early to attend Anzac Day Dawn Service or to see Anzac Day Parade. My feet were aching after walking to Opera House yesterday, and I thought it is okay to give myself a treat to stay longer on bed during this holiday.

However, after lunch, I walked out to Royal Botanical Garden to see some autumn colours there. I wanted to try my phone camera again. This time, the walk distance is even further than yesterday, about 5 km. But it would be fun because I would walked through some beautiful city parks. I enjoyed the view so much and captured some yellowish and reddish autumn leaves along the pedestrian walks, with the mix of beautiful old sandstone and modern buildings. 

My destination point was Mrs Macquarie's Chair at Royal Botanical Garden. Then, I walked along the gardens and ended in The Opera House. From there, I took a train and bus to get back to my dorm. It was raining, but it was fun since I didn't feel the heat from the sun. I guess I start to fall in love with Sydney. It has everything, from hustle and bustle of metropolitan to vast beautiful landscape from mountain to sea, you name it! 

What I wish more on Sydney are, I wish this city is bigger, and I wish this city has real four-season experience. Sydney is the largest city in Oceania, but it is relatively very small compared to Jakarta or Tokyo. Australia is a vast continent but only 24 million people live on it. Sydney's proximity to Pacific ocean also weaken the four-season effect. And most of Australian native plants are not deciduous during winter, so we don't really see the autumn colour.

Here are some pictures I took with my GS8