Monday, May 15, 2017

Blackheath Autumn

Sydney, 15 May 2017

Last Sunday, I went to Blackheath, a small town in Blue Mountain. I decided to go there after I saw my friend's posts on his Instagram. He went there in the previous week to see autumn leaves. His pics were so beautiful. So, last Sunday I went there by myself despite the forecast said it was going to rain on that day. Blue Mountain is only two hours away by train from Sydney Central station.

From the train, I can see some trees turned very colourful along the way. I was so excited. I wish Australia's native vegetation were all deciduous so I could see more autumn colours in the vast Blue Mountain tableland. Only trees that were originally brought by British colonists from Europe are deciduous in Australia. The rests are evergreen even during winter.

Blackheath station is only two stations after Katoomba station. I took 9 am train and I arrived in Blackheath around 11-ish am or so. The weather was so cold even though it was in the midday since it was so cloudy. It was only 8 degree Celsius. But luckily it was not raining as it was predicted. Nonetheless, I couldn't see the clear blue sky and warm autumn sun.

The Blackheath town is very small. It is only a size of a village. I crossed the road in front of the station and walked along the street. The sidewalk were busy with some visitors, mostly Australians (but it was not as busy as Katoomba, probably this town is much less popular than Katoomba, which is good so I can enjoy the scenery peacefully). The main road was filled with some souvenir shops and cafes. There are also some fruits and veggies shops and some book shops.

Behind the block, there is a very long lane, lying from north to south, called Wentworth Street. The street was filled with red autumn colour from the Maple trees planted on both side of the street. It was super beautiful since I have never seen a very long road filled with all autumn trees like this before. The north side trees were starting to lose their leaves. I walked a little further to southern side and I found the trees were still full of yellow and red leaves. I recommend you to go tho this side since less people visit this area yet the tress are bigger and denser.












I really enjoyed my trip this time despite I went there alone. Sometimes when I travel with other people, we disagree on something or some of us become selfish. However I wish I can go here again with some best friends or some people I love. This is a place worth to visit during autumn. It is just beautiful, even more beautiful than Kyoto's autumn.

P.S. I ended up with over-contrast pictures during post-editing. I was in the train going back to Sydney when I edited the pics. I couldn't see the colour accurately since my phone displays washed by the sun ray that appeared after the cloudy day.