Monday, May 8, 2017

Going To a Movie Theatre in Sydney

Sydney, 8 May 2017

Yesterday, when Anthony and I walked home from our group assignment meeting, he told me that today he is going to watch movie. I told him that I have never gone to any theatre in Sydney since I came here and I am actually very curious about what the movie theatre looks like in Australia. Then Anthony asked me to join them to the movie today.

Shortly, there are eight people are going, including me. Wilson booked the tickets for us through his cell phone. I didn't know how he did it, but I am keen to figure it out later how to order a ticket movie from my mobile phone. It looked so simple and straight away. The ticket price was only $11 which I think is cheap enough for Sydney living cost standard.

We decided to watch "Get Out". It turned out to be a very good movie. The plot is simple but the thrill was there. And more importantly, when we came out from theatre room, we found out that there were a lot of detailed clues along the scene that we didn't actually consider at the beginning. I would say it was a fairly good movie, despite you may argue there was some weaknesses. And Anthony, as the only black man in our group, was teased for relating to the story of the movie.

There were some unique things that attract my attention about watching movie in here. First off, we are actually not allowed to bring snacks from outside the theatre, but the guys just bought the snacks from Coles and put them inside their bag. And when we entered the theatre room, there was no guards that checked out tickets nor checked if we sneak a food inside our bag.

Secondly, because I just didn't want to get any trouble, I just bought the popcorn from the theatre shop. It was the largest popcorn bucket I ever have in my life. But the price was surprisingly expensive. I had to pay around $18 for a regular (which to me I would say it is a jumbo) size of popcorn and a regular (again, to me it is a jumbo) size of soft drink. So next time, I will probably do what my friends did instead of buying ripping-off theatre snack.

Thirdly, I would say the theatre room was just so-so. I was expecting a more luxurious look of theatre since we are in Sydney, but my small hometown even has better theatre in my opinion. I went to movie theatres very often when I lived in Jakarta and they are all so good, so I was expecting to have more here in Sydney. Or probably, I haven't tried the upper class theatre yet in Sydney.

And lastly, people here are so expressive but respectful. They laugh and scream together during the show, but none is distracting by talking or turning on their cell phones. Over all, we enjoyed the time so much.